History

Home / History

The Social Planning Council of Kingston and District (SPC) is a not-for-profit, non-government organization and registered charity, which has operated in Kingston since 1930.

Originally known as the Kingston Welfare Council. It became the Social Planning Council of Kingston and District in 1965. The SPC defined its mandate as to identify unmet social needs in the community and to suggest the resources needed to meet these needs.

Throughout its history, the SPC has been concerned with the state of social service needs and well-being of residents in Kingston and surrounding Frontenac, Lennox and Addington Counties. The mandate of the Social Planning Council of Kingston and Area is to provide leadership in identifying the need for social services and supports within the community.

In its quest to address community planning needs, the SPC has initiated several projects that have become autonomous agencies over the years: among them are the Kingston District Community Information Centre (as of 2005, part of Volunteer Kingston), and the Kingston Youth Shelter.